If you want people to write about you in the media, you need to make it an easy job for them. Electronic Press Kits (or EPKs) are a ‘one stop shop’ promotional package containing every item that a blogger, journalist, promoter or venue needs if they want information about you.
It should contain:
- Biography in Word and PDF format.
- Photos. High and low res, colour and black and white.
- Video. Links to YouTube/Vimeo could be in a separate text document rather than actual video files. Include any interview videos if you have online.
- Music. Links to your Soundcloud. It may be worth offering unlisted ‘downloadable’ private links to some of your music if someone wants to host a track on their site.
- Logos and banners
You could even include:
- Backline requirements/stage plans
- Poster templates
These items are normally ‘zipped’ up into one file and hosted on your website. Make sure that the link to the file is easily locatable on your website.
Sonicbids provide a hosting service for your EPK which put additional features such as social statistics (Facebook followers, Soundcloud plays) into the mix.
Make sure you have an EPK and that it is kept up to date (at least once every 6 months).
Got any questions about this post or how you can better market yourself?