Not many artists and musicians have their own podcast and I believe that in not doing so they are missing out on a valuable, engaging and fun marketing tool. Over the next week or so I’ll be creating a series of articles showing you how to get started in the worldful world of podcasting.
If you’re still thinking podcasting might not be for you, here’s seven reasons why you definitely SHOULD think about starting your own podcast.
- Podcasts are popular right now. Very popular, in fact 17% of the US population have listened to a podcast in the last month.
- People who listen to podcasts really love them and listen to a lot of them. Podcastees (people who listen to podcasts) spend 26% of all their listening time on podcasts.
- Podcasting, like radio, creates an intimacy with your audience. This intimacy forges a stronger relationship with your fans and this is a key marketing strategy for your music.
- Podcasting is another means of discovery for yourself and your music. By having your own audio ‘channel’. people can stumble across you and your music.
- It’s a great communication device allowing you the opportunity to give your fans detailed information about gigs and forthcoming releases.
- It can be relatively cheap to do with very little specialist equipment. You can even do it for free!
- Not many bands take the time to podcast. Those that do elevate themselves above the crowd, generating a little kudos for themselves. You’d like some kudos wouldn’t you?
Want to start podcasting? We’ll start the series next week.
Got any questions about this post or how you can better market yourself?